background

Monday, September 12, 2011

Linda's Legacy

Belinda Kersey 9/5/11

His Word
Psalm 71:17-18 Since my youth, God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and gray,  do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation,  your mighty acts to all who are to come. 

The Song
Legacy by Nichole Nordeman

My Thoughts
It saddens me that in the span of a few months, I have lost two lovely women in my life.  I recently wrote a tribute to my friend Maria and now I am sharing the story of my cousin, Linda, with you. 
 
In the days following Linda’s death due to cancer, the song “Legacy” kept playing in my head.  Linda could have penned these words herself,  “I want to leave a legacy How will they remember me? Did I choose to love? Did I point to you enough to make a mark on things? I want to leave an offering”.

Linda’s desire was to leave a legacy of faith for her family and friends. She was full of God’s light  even though cancer had been her unwelcome, on-again, off-again companion for several years.  Through her fight with the enemy, she remained firm and faithful in her belief in a God who heals.  She was a beacon pointing the way to God for her children and grandchildren.  In fact,  when she had liver cancer a few years ago,  one doctor told her that there wasn’t hope for her,  instead of believing him, she believed in God and she chose to plead her case with heaven and find another doctor who would perform a new, experimental procedure.  The combination of prayer and treatment, extended her life for a few more years.

Linda was one person who understood when I said that I believe God had healed me of MS during prayer several years ago but He had not yet completed that healing.  Linda understood because she felt the same way about her own healing.  I also knew I could believe her when she said she was praying for my healing as I prayed for hers.  She often shared with me that she was looking forward to the day that she could see me walk again.

Although we have lost Linda to this world, God has provided her with perfect healing in His heavenly home.  Linda absolutely left a legacy of faith for her friends and family.  She did not waiver in her love for and faith in her Maker.  It did not matter if you were a coworker, a stranger or a friend, Linda pointed to God enough to make “a mark on” those she came into contact with.  Although Linda asked God to allow her to live to see her youngest grandchild graduate from high school, she also could say “in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides the temporary trappings of this world.”  She was a “child of mercy and grace who blessed (His)  name unapologetically
”.

Unfortunately, I was unable to attend her funeral in another state but my sister recorded some of the service for those who weren't there. My brother read words that were written by her daughters and others that testified to the legacy she had left them.  Linda may not have been “well traveled, well read,  well-to-do”  but on the day she faced her Maker,  I know she heard "Well done" good and faithful one”.

Your Response
Ask yourself what legacy you are leaving to those who surround you.  Determine in your heart to leave a legacy that honors God and ask Him to give you the strength and faith to follow through day by day to instill in your loved ones that legacy of faith.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment