background

Monday, May 2, 2011

My Shepherd

Belinda Kersey 7/9/07
God’s Word
Psalm 23

My Thoughts

Sometimes I think it is a pity that the original music to the Psalms are not included in the Bible. I would love to know how the music director interpreted the music to the words of the Psalmist. However, in God’s wisdom, He knew all music does not transcend the generations but it is His Word that will stand for all time.

One Psalm that is precious to every believer is Psalm 23. I have heard it sung in many styles but one version has become meaningful to me. Juanita Bynum speaks the words in a way that embeds them in my soul. I’ve learned to personalize the words for any situation I find myself in as she speaks and sings them. The Psalm will truly dwell in you when you do the same.

Many years ago the song became a prayer I cried out to the Lord. My husband, Jeff, was going through a particularly shaky time at work. I know the following words were heard and answered by the Lord. The Lord is Jeff’s shepherd, he shall not want-because you provide for him. He makes Jeff lie down in green pastures, He leads Jeff beside still waters, and He restores Jeff’s soul-even though there is turmoil surrounding him. He guides Jeff in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake -even though he is one of the few to stand for an ethical workplace. Even though Jeff walks in the valley of the shadow of death-of his job, Jeff will fear no evil-or firing, for you are with Jeff, your rod and your staff comfort Jeff. You prepare a table before Jeff in the presence of his enemies-his profane & corrupt boss. You anoint Jeff’s head with oil, and his cup overflows-you will restore to him his raise. Surely goodness and mercy-and your favor Lord-will follow Jeff all the days of his life and he will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. AMEN!

It took many months, but God answered the cries of my heart. The corrupt boss was fired, Jeff retained his position and received a retroactive pay raise. God is faithful and just-pray this Psalm to Him with your situation in mind, whether you are faced with disease, danger or other need, He will answer the call of His children.

Your Response
Take time to write out Psalm 23 and insert your name, needs and prayer just as I did Jeff’s. Read it out loud to our wonderful Shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment