background

Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday Musing-Run To Him!


Belinda Kersey  9/22/09
  
God’s Word
Psalm 121:1-2 I look up to the mountains; does my strength come from mountains?    No, my strength comes from God,  who made heaven, and earth, and mountains.

The Song
Lord I Run to You by Tommy Walker

My Thoughts

Who do you immediately call when trouble comes your way?  When I was told it was likely I had MS, I immediately called my husband, then my mother, then my sisters.  When distressing news assails me, that is my normal pattern.  But lately I have thought of the words to this song “Lord I run to you.  No one else will do. Lord in troubled times I will run straight to you”.  My friend, that is exactly what we should do.  Our friends and family can offer us words, prayer or hugs when we face trials, but our heavenly Father offers us an “ever-present-help and a tower of strength.” 

Yes, a human support system is very important to have, but our help comes from “the maker of earth and heaven and there is nothing that’s too hard for Him”.  The scripture says he “guards your very life.”  I know my husband wants to guard me, but he can not guard my very life.  My mother can not “guard me from every evil.”  My sisters can not guard me when I “leave and when I return for now and always.” 

When I face trouble, pain and fear as the Lord said I would, my first response should be to cry out to Him, to ask for His help in my need.  Yes, I can then call my loved ones but after crying out to God, I can come to my family with more peace about the situation because I know  God has overcome the world. 

So often we put too much of a burden on our family and friends to lift us out of our despair.  We want them to make it all better.  We forget they are as frail as we are.  Our Lord stands at the ready, he never sleeps!  When I would call my poor husband or son in the wee hours of the morning from my hospital bed, they were not ready to comfort me.  They were deep in slumber.  They loved me but they were not happy to be awakened and they weren’t able to help me.

My Jesus is alert and ready to shield, comfort and guard me at every hour of the day or night.  I just need to remember to run to him first.

 Your Response
Read Psalm 121 (from The Message) out loud.  Make it your prayer and declaration.
1-2 I look up to the mountains; does my strength come from mountains?    No, my strength comes from God,  who made heaven, and earth, and mountains.  3-4 He won't let me stumble,   my Guardian God won't fall asleep.  Not on your life! Israel's  Guardian will never doze or sleep.  5-6 God's my Guardian,   right at my side to protect me—   Shielding me from sunstroke,  sheltering me from moon stroke.  7-8 God guards me from every evil,   he guards my very life.   He guards me when I leave and when I return,   he guards me now, he guards me always.”




No comments:

Post a Comment